Swollen jaw after extraction?

Moses (15 y.o. Maine Coon) had a tooth pulled on his lower jaw about two months ago. Right after the extraction, the area was a little swollen, and I thought it would go away on its own. In the past few weeks, it's grown considerably, and while he doesn't seem to be in pain, he does look uncomfortable. The swollen area is hard to the touch, and he drools a little because it's so big. He's been eating normally (although I have been trying to give him softer food), and I haven't noticed much change in his behavior, other than he clicks his teeth kind of a lot. He'll be in to the vet later this week, but I was wondering if there's anything I can do for him in the meantime, or if anyone knows what this might be. Thanks!

Asked by Member 800397 on Feb 3rd 2009 in Dental Care

Answers

Well, even an amateur like me would suspect he's got an infection, and needs antibiotics. If you've ever had oral surgery, antibiotics are usually prescribed. Can you get to the vet sooner than your appointed time?

Chibi answered on 2/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Freckles (1993-2011)

It sounds like an infection either from a piece of tooth left behind or just where the gum healed over a pocket of infection left behind when the tooth was removed. The vet may need to do an xray to confirm if any tooth/bone fragments are causing the infection. You should try to pull in his appointment earlier in the week if possible so the vet can do an exam to confirm its an infection and get him started on antibiotics. With an older cat its important to take care of infections in the mouth quickly as they can spread through the blood and affect their heart or kidneys and then require much longer to treat. I'm sure he'll be OK but see if the vet can see you sooner.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 2/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer