Sudden onset dandruff after changing cat food-vet prescribed Omega3. Would Omega3 help with an allergic reaction?

My vet put my two 2.5 year old cats on Hills Z/D for excessive ear wax. (one is also asthmatic) Two days after beginning the switch they both developed dandruff and sensitivity at the base of their tails. The vet then prescribed an Omega3 supplement. Could this be an allergy to the food instead of caused by a diet deficiency?

If the dandruff is an allergic reaction, rather than because of a diet deficiency, will the Omega3 help? Or will it simply mask the allergic reaction? Don't know how they could be allergic to a hypoallergenic food!

Asked by Member 1130691 on Sep 13th 2012 Tagged food, allergies, hypoallergenic in Allergies

Answers

I suspect your cats' reaction may have been more the way the food was introduced. Did you switch without filtering the food in with what they were already eating? Have their litter box habits remained normal? No diarrhea or constipation? Omega-3 is a fish oil and unless your cats were allergic to fish, it shouldn't cause an allergic reaction, Allergies usually present themselves with breathing difficulties, swelling, excessive itching/scratching,etc. I've never heard of an allery causing dandruff. Most cats are sensitive at the base of their tail, though. Since your vet is familiar with your cats' histories, I would be tempted to call and ask them why your cats have suddenly developed flaking skin, if it's the food or the Omega-3. Since they've both developed the same thing, it's possible it might be the food.