Struggling with a sick cat

Tomas was abandoned at a TNR colony in NY. He was adopted by a lady with a number of other cats. Tomas had chronic diarrhea and with so many other cats in his house it was difficult to control if he was taking his medicine or other cat was taking it instead. He was brought back to the TNR colony at the time I started volunteering there, and soon we became friends. He was the only cat that would greet me, rub against my legs, and let me pet him extensively. He was grateful for his food. When I discovered he had diarrhea I took him on to give him a second chance in a stress free environment. Since he arrived home one month ago, the extrovert cat who was my friend is scared and hiding under the sofa, demanding his food but hissing at me if I try to approach him. In spite of eating his prescription food and taking his medication, he is not improving, and I am starting to get a little bit tired of cleaning the soiled carpet every day in exchange for hisses. What shall I do?

Asked by Member 1153159 on Feb 1st 2013 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

You don't really know Tomas' history. He could have been abandoned because of his current behavior, and/or because his former owner also did not want to deal with the diarrhea and vet bills treating him would incur. He could have had this condition all his life. Make sure he has plenty of litter boxes around wherever you can put them so there is always one handy. If he is on medication and special food and it's not doing much good, he needs to go back to the vet. If you are fostering, the group you foster for should absorb at least some, if not all, of the vet bill. If he is not feeling well, this is the reason he is acting like he is. It doesn't mean he no longer "likes" you. Diarrhea isn't pleasant for anyone, especially if it's accompanied by an illness that isn't getting cured. We send you purrs and wishes for his recovery!