Stop cat screaming

My roommate's 10 month old spayed female kitten CONSTANTLY tries to play with my 4 year old spayed female. The adult cat screams at an ear-splitting level anytime the kitten tries to engage in innocent play. It is impossible to separate them when this happens because they know why we are coming towards them and run for fear of being shut in a room alone. The growling, hissing, and screaming are near constant and I am at my wits' end. What can I do? Would a citronella bark-collar do anything to discourage the vocalizations?

Asked by Member 1127034 on Aug 22nd 2012 in Socialization

Answers

It may go back to when you introduced the kitten to the older cat. Did you put the new cat in a separate room and keep her there until the resident cat had showed interest in meeting her? Or did you just bring the kitten home and let her have free reign of the house? Some cats are very territorial and your's may be one. Experts suggest keeping the cats separate. Rub newbie with a towel and let resident sniff it. Occasionally, let resident into newbie's room and newbie out. After resident shows interest and stops hissing at the closed "newbie" door, set up a baby gate and let them see each other. If hissing and screaming ensues, close the door again. Visit the newbie as often as possible to socialize/play with her. Reassure resident that she's still tops. Is resident spayed as well? Because of the bad start, this may take a few weeks, but be patient, calm and kind and if the 2 are meant to be friends, it will happen.