rhymon pearle hedges-come home

sigh. my kitten might have eaten a small amount of pastel chalk...

it's supposed to be non-toxic, or at least what i usually buy is but i no longer have the box because i've had this for awhile-it's in a pencil box. it tastes like what i usually buy-yes, i took a nibble, seemed like the best way to get an idea. i mean, i don't weigh five pounds, you know?
i'm most likely over-reacting, i got it away pretty quick...she's teething, and none of the dental toys hold her interest-my art supplies do and she is QUICK. it was light blue...i doubt that helps. she was just gnawing, and it was just a stub. it's the middle of the night, i don't think this warrants a trip to the emergency vet. anyone know what i should watch for? or am i just being neurotic? (her name is now rhymon pearle...oops...simon didn't quite work for a girl, so...oh....she's eating and drinking, hasn't visited the litterbox yet, though.) my 'teencat' licks my chalks & charcoals...(they DO have a cool smell)...is this cumulatively dangerous? i stop her, but over time...?


Asked by rhymon pearle hedges-come home on Oct 10th 2008 Tagged teething, poisoning, chalk, dye, charcoal in Swallowing Foreign Objects
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • This question is closed.

Best Answer

Louie (1996-2013)

Chalk is just calcium carbonate, which is totally non-toxic. In fact, it's used as a supplement in cat foods for healthy bones and to reduce urine pH. She may be eating some of these things because her diet lacks certain minerals. Ask your vet about that.

Charcoal is fine too, as it's actually used to absorb toxins that kitty ingests.

Just be careful with anything that may be colored. Some dyes can be toxic, especially the brighter ones. A little won't hurt her, but keep your supplies locked up just in case.


Louie (1996-2013) answered on Oct 13th.

Other Answers


Answers

Tabby (Adopted)

Rhymon is very cute. I don't think a small piece of chalk will cause any harm. To put your mind at ease why don't you call the emergency vet and double check with them.


Tabby (Adopted) answered on 10/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer


Lola

I agree with Tabby. I doubt that chalk is a problem (although you could do an Internet search to make sure). Do you know the name of the maker? You could call the company and ask. I would guess that chalk and other similar things (colored pencils, crayons) would tend to be non-toxic because they are used by children. But a call to the emergency vet is a good idea. And you know your cat--you'll know if she's looking sick. THEN you take her to the vet ASAP.


Lola answered on 10/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer