sickly adopted cat

I adopted a 10 year old cat, who is very thin. Also he walks in a strange way and his hind end looks like he has arthritis or was at some point hit by a car. I am certainly taking him to the vet, but in the meantime he is eating up a storm (good?), very thin, I am thinking he has to have soft food due to maybe loss of teeth? County animal shelter has given all shots. ???

Asked by Member 1189098 on Sep 8th 2013 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Sometimes animals end up in shelters because there is a health issue and the owner does not want to pay for medical expenses. They also don't tell the shelter because then the animal would automatically be put down. Don't be surprised if there is a lot wrong with your new cat. If there are no teeth, yes he would eat soft food, but mix soft and hard for now because hard has more protein. Orion and Bezal like MaxCat senior dry food with chicken protein and oatmeal for digestion. ^_^ Good luck at the vet's!