Should I wait or take kitten in to vet?
I know my kitten has worms (roundworms I think). They in his stool and around anus. He is 8 wks old and the receptionist said he'd be fine until I take him in for appointment in 2 weeks. I am worried that I shouldn't wait that long
on Oct 23rd 2008
in Worms & Parasites
- Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!
I can not imagine anybody at my vet telling me I had to wait two weeks for anything I was concerned about with my kitties. Unless the receptionist consulted the vet or a tech and they agreed with her, I would tell them you want to come in sooner even if was only because you are worried and you shouldn't have to wait. There is no reason the poor baby has to suffer an extra 2 weeks with worms in his belly. The worms are preventing him from getting all the nutrition he needs to grow and they cause discomfort and diarrhea. I am wondering what he is due in for at 10 weeks and can't it be done sooner? Kitten vaccines are generally done at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Was she just trying to save you money for an extra visit? And did she know how young he is?
Kira answered on 10/23/08. Helpful? / 0
I would definitely get in sooner. Two weeks is a long time to let something go in such a young kitten. If this vet can't fit you in any earlier, go to a different one but don't let it wait. 8 week old kittens can go downhill very fast
Atrus answered on 10/23/08. Helpful? / 0
You should ABSOLUTELY NOT WAIT two week to take this baby in. Worms can be fatal to a kitten that young. They suck the blood, weaken the kitten and eventually kill it. Your kitten needs to be on medication now, and you need to speak to the head of your vet clinic and tell them what the receptionist told her. Her advice was inappropriate and some day she may give the wrong advice and cost an animal it's life.
Izadore (Izzie) answered on 10/24/08. Helpful? / 0