Should I have my new adopted cat groomed before bringing her home?

I am going to be adopting a domestic medium hair beautful cat named Kelly and bringing her home soon! Kelly has been sharing a small room at the shelter with about 10-12 other cats her age. I know that the shelter, being so full of many cats to take care of, that each cat is not getting the best grooming that each should. My question is should I take my new baby girl to get a full grooming of nails, ear cleaning, and a brush and bath before taking her to her new forever home?

Asked by Member 818751 on Mar 23rd 2009 in Professional Grooming

Best Answer

I agree with Allie and Oscar J. The groomer can check for fleas, treat them or recommend treatment, and clean up her fur for you to cut down on shedding. They can also recommend how to groom her yourself. If you don't have a vet, now is the time to find one. Kelly should be checked and tested for parasites, vaccinated and spayed if she isn't already. Because of time and money constraints, shelters do what they can, but it's always wise to find your own vet and introduce them to Kelly and visa-versa. And yes, God bless you for adopting!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Mar 23rd.

Answers

That would be a very good idea especially if you have other pets. You don't want any fleas or anything from the shelter finding their way into your home. Although, if she is not used to being groomed it may be traumatic for her. So you need to weigh the pros and cons before subjecting her to a "spa day".

I had Oscar groomed before we brought him home, but he was an outside stray. Like Allie said, there are plusses and minuses to consider. What we would find relaxing, she might hate with a blue passion. :D

Bless you for adopting!