Should i get a male or female as a 2nd cat??

I have an 18year old male neutered cat. He is very well behaved,doesnt spray etc.
Im wanting a 2nd cat,but dont know which to go for?! Choice between a 2 yo ragdoll un neutered female,or a 12 wk old tonkinese cross un neutered male..whichever i get,he/she will be neutered when appropriate. But, i cant decide which would be best to get for my old male cat as i dont want to stress him out and cause him to start spraying etc? He doesnt play anymore,so not sure if a young kitten would be too much for him? He has until a few months ago had his sister for company,but sadly she died of old age. I think he misses her. Just would like some advice from someone else as to what would be best to do? Male or female Ragdoll or Tonkinese or none at all??
Thankyou for reading this!x

Asked by Member 1144799 on Dec 11th 2012 in Breeds

Answers

I would chose option "C", none at all. Your old guy is very senior and although I'm sure he misses his sister, he missed HER and probably not the idea of a companion, especially a much younger, much more energetic one. If he were lots younger, I'd say "go for it", but for right now, I think that he should rely on YOU, his beloved owner, for as much extra attention as you can give him. I believe adding a "strange" kitty to your family would prove unneccessarily stressful to him. A lot of people maintain that the presence of a younger cat will make the older one "kitten-like" again, but that's a gamble that you might not want to take. If it proved to be a bad decision, it would be hard on your old guy and also the new kitty if you had to rehome it. I'd say, "Wait." Purrs!