Should I feed a raw meat diet to a cat who will be around small pets?

I want to feed my 3 month old kitten a raw diet. Will this effect his behavior towards small animals in the house? I don't want to stimulate his hunting drive or something wierd like that. He's an indoor cat and may be around small pets like rabbits, rats, etc later in life.

Asked by Member 1157946 on Mar 4th 2013 Tagged catswithsmallpets, rawdiet in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

You can always visit our forums for other's opinions on what and how to feed and their experiences. But my opinion is that if your cat is well-fed, even a raw diet, it will not stimulate his desire to eat anything he catches. Although if the rabbits, rats, etc. are left to run loose in your home, there is no guarantee he will not chase and injure them if he catches them. We've all seen the Facebook pictures of Dog and cats, cats and rabbits, etc. snuggling together, but the truth is that most cats see these creatures as prey to be chased. If you do acquire any of these other animals, it would be wise of you to keep them in a secure enclosure just to be safe.