Separating Cats

Last year I adopted a kitten but a few months later my landlord decided we couldn't have pets anymore. My good friend took my kitten in but she was still technically "my cat". My kitty and my friends kitty have become very bonded since they've lived together, they play, groom each other and comfort each other. In a few months I'll be moving into a new apartment where I will be able to have a cat again and my friend will be moving a few hours away. I am having trouble deciding what to do, I'd feel bad for separating the kitties and moving my cat again to a new home but I absolutely adore her. If I do keep her should I get another kitten friend for her?

Asked by Member 1119474 on Jul 7th 2012 Tagged friends, moving, anxiety in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy

oh dear, such a dilemma! I know you love the kitty, but since she has bonded with your friend's cat, I think to separate them would be terribly sad and confusing for both of them. I'm sure your good friend has bonded with your kitty too, and might find it hard to return her to you.
Could you possibly think of adopting a new kitten? I think you could and would love a new kitten or maybe even two!
Wishing you the best!

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy answered on 7/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I totally agree with Purrcey. Kittens are resilient, but in this case, I would not separate your kitten from her new friends/home. It sounds like it's a good situation. Many times we get questions from people whose cats constantly fight and their homes are like war zones. Since this situation has worked out so well for your kitty, I'd say leave her be and go to a reputable rescue or shelter in your area to give another homeless waif (or two) a chance. This time, make sure your landlord WONT change his mind anytime soon about the pet policy and if he does, if you can be "grandfathered" in.

Batfink

What a horrible situation you are in.
Im not sure what i would do in the same situation....
But i would like to offer another thought... Cats can live for many years with good care and in that time other cats come into thier lives and....subsequently cats leave your cats life too.
It something that happens. Your kitty has made a friend, and is likely to make other kitty friends too, It was suppossed to have been a temporary situation , and if youve had regular contact with her it should be ok. Dont feel too gulty if you decide to bring her with you,she will pine, and look for her friend, give her a good home, hold off on getting a kitten for a while though, wait untill she settles in her new home. Whatever you decide to do,there are ways to make kitty happy, offer her your time,affection and respect you will get the sameback.

Batfink answered on 7/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer