Roundworms?

Earlier tonight, I saw a worm on my cats tail by the anus. I think he may have roundworms. I looked into roundworms some more and found out they can be transmitted to people. I touched the worms because I didn't know what it was. I'm worried. Can you get worms that way? I read you get them from the eggs, then found out the eggs are microscopic. I have no idea whether or not I was exposed to the eggs or not. I washed my hands after reading that. Should I wash anything I touched after? Is it possible I was exposed to the eggs?

Asked by Member 1105424 on Apr 11th 2012 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

I think that what you saw were tapeworms, not roundworms. Cats get tapeworms by eating fleas. Tapeworms come out of a cats behind & they come out in their poop. They look like little grains of rice. I've touched tapeworms before & I was perfctly fine. You should take your cat to the vet along with a fecal sample for examination. If your cat has fleas, he'll need flea treatment. It would be a good idea to clean & vaccum the house to try to get rid of the fleas & perhaps use a flea bomb if that's what this is.