Sandy

Roughly how much milk is a 2-3 week kitten spose to drink?

I'd like to say thanks to Izzie for helping me a few days ago. The kitten is doing much better. I got a kitten a few days ago, or more like found by mistake. He was sick and so on. Hes doing much better, the first night was hard for him to drink his special milk, but now he'll wake me up at night when he wants his bottle, and he sucks great.

I've bottled fed kittens before, but not if there life depended on it. This is my frist kitten if I don't feed him, he will die. Normally it's just helping the mother rest for a little while. So I don't worry about how much milk the ktitens are getting. But now Bud (kittens name) is depending 100% of me. He stops drinking then a few minutes he wants more. So I give him more. He drinks whenever he wants, when I'm at school my mom feeds him, but idk how much he should be drinking. Anything would help ALOT!!

P.S. Sorry if this is choppy. Long day at school plus four plus hours of homework can make you sound tired.

Thanks again.

Asked by Sandy on Sep 15th 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

You're welcome for the first answer. It sounds like you are feeding Bud Kitten Milk Replacer. I'm glad that Bud is showing interest in nursing and that your mom is helping you out with him. At his age and with his tough beginnings, he should be fed as much and as often as he wants. He needs to rest for a few seconds while feeding so he doesn't overload his tummy. Feeding a baby this young and small can take a while and you shouldn't rush him. He also needs to have his back parts washed with a warm, wet towel to make him empty his bladder and defecate. This simulates how the mom will lick them to help them potty. He should also have his little face washed so no milk remains on his fur. If you or your mom have any chance to go, please take Bud to the vet as soon as you can. The vet can be VERY helpful in showing you how to take care of Bud to give him the best chance of making it and being your best friend for all his life.

Duchess

I am also raising a young kitten. Her name is Duchess, at first she ate less then a tablespoon but ate EVERY 3-4 hours. Now she eats more every 5-6 hours [vets orders to start weaning her off] and she eats sometimes a tablespoon and more. She is a very happy kitten and does not over eat since she is never bloated.

I would say that you should let him eat as much as he wants, the kitten will know when to stop just like babies. I've heard about burping a kitten after feeding I have no idea if this is good or not, I don't always burp her since she burps herself. But helping stimulation of peeing will help him. Don't worry too much if he doesn't poop every time since what he is eating is liquid so there won't be a need of too much poop. As long as he is drinking and not bloated [meaning a hard stomach] then he is fine. As for how much he should eat, I'd say 4 table spoons a day maybe? Depending on how much he eats in one feeding and how often he is fed.

Duchess answered on 9/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer