Risk of thyroid cancer following I131 / radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroid disease

Sassy is 7 years old and is taking Tapazole tablets for hyperthyroidism. They are working OK but I want to look at I131 / radioactive Iodine treatment for her. The main concern I have is what is the risk of the radiation treatment causing thyroid cancer after the treatment is complete. This happened to my cat Jester 3-4 years after she had I131 treatment and she got they type of untreatable thyroid cancer that does not absorb I131. I'm not sure if Jester was just the unlucky 1 in a million or if this is something I should worry about for Sassy.

Since Sassy is much younger and would normally live for another 10+ years I want to understand the cancer risk but can't find any info online and the I131 vets only track the cats for 1 year after they get treatment so they have no meaningful info and just say its not a risk.

Has anyone else who's cat has had I131 treatment later developed this type of thyroid cancer?

Asked by Sassy (2001-2012) on Feb 8th 2009 Tagged thyroid, cancerrisk in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

I didnt have the radioactive treatment for my cat but did opt for the removal of her thyroid gland. Have you considered this alternative? I had the procedure done after 5 years on methemazole. She didnt have to take any more meds after that. She lived to be 18. The procedure was fairly easy.

answered on Feb 8th.

There Are No Other Answers