Raw open wound on paw. Was swollen, and popped.

the other day I notice my cats right hind leg had a paw that was Extremely swollen. It was sunday so the vets were closed and by the time I got her to the vet on monday it had just popped. They gave me some antibiotics and told me to wash it with a warm cloth several times a day because it had to heal from the inside out. Everyonce in a while it would ooze out a puss like liquid and I would clean it whenever I noticed. She also licks it which the vet said would be good because it can't scab over.

That was yesterday. Today I woke up to clean her foot and it looks like she is overlicking it. There is a raw wound now the size of a penny and it is VERY gross looking. Different pink and yellowish colors. and the edges of the wound seem to be "swollen" for lack of a better term. Should I keep cleaning it with just warm water and giving her antibiotics? I was thinking of taking her back to the vet tomorrow. any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Asked by Member 805457 on Feb 17th 2009 Tagged swollentoe, foot, popped, lanced, wound, licking, infected, open in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Call the Vet first and ask. And maybe the Vet can give you something to protect the paw from overlicking.

Hunter

While the wound needs to stay open so the pus can drain it is not good for the cat to lick it as they can actually make the infection worse. Continue to clean it with warm water. Your cat may need to have a drain placed if the area continues to ooze. I would ask the vet to give you an e-collar so she can't lick at the foot anymore. It may be worth a trip to the vet tomorrow to have them take another look to see if anything in addition to the cleanings and antibiotics are necessary. You may also want to ask them if warm compressing would be beneficial.

Hunter answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The Magnificent Seven

I'm no expert, but I'd take her back to the vet again. Did you ever get a diagnosis as to what it is/might be? If not, ask the vet when you go again. One of my kittens has had a scab on his nose since birth that refuses to heal...right now, we're trying to figure out what it is, but in the meantime, I've been looking at various Internet sites that also show different kinds of wounds (on legs, feet, face, etc.) that refuse to heal, and I've gotten the impression that there could be a number of causes, some serious, some not so serious. So get a diagnosis, and if your vet doesn't have a good answer, and your cat's paw doesn't heal, you might consider seeing a specialist. That's what I'm planning to do.

The Magnificent Seven answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlie

If the skin around or in the wound is looking a weird yellow color, that tissue may be dead and your vet may want to cut it away (while your kitty is sedated of course). Did your vet determine the cause? Keep giving her the antibiotics as prescribed, and keep washing it/soaking it as your vet instructed you to, until you are able to get your kitty back in to have it looked at. Not to scare you, but necrotizing fasciitis is a type of soft tissue bacterial infection that continues to spread and is very serious and even life threatening. It is rare-but does occur (I have seen it twice in the past year). So if things just aren't looking right, it is always best to have it rechecked by your vet.

Charlie answered on 2/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer