Question about the way female cats urine inside litter box.

I have a 4 and a half year old Maine Coon female cat. My issue is when she uses her litter box her urine seems to come up and out of the litter box. We always end up w a pool of urine under the box or if I flap the plastic from the liner up and over the latches, we have a pool of urine in the liner. My friend w a male cat doesn't have this issue and I have not found any info online. Anything I can do differently!? She uses a large litter box w hood. Thank you so much!!

Asked by Member 1212383 on Feb 21st 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Litter boxes with hoods are for people, not cats. Since your cat is bigger, here are two suggestions: remove the liner or find a different brand that does not present the same problem. or switch to a giant box that has high sides and no back, such as made by Nature's Miracle. Your cat probably does not have much wiggle room inside the box as is, which does not allow her to comfortably crouch in there. ^_^