QueenSammy87

I adopted 2 kittens almost 5 weeks ago, they're 16 weeks old on Friday.
In the last few days the female kitten has been peeing on furniture, the sofas and the bed. The litter trays are emptied daily and sanitised every other day.
They've both been checked by the vet for UTIs and are all clear. What could be causing it?

Asked by Member 1141280 on Nov 18th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I'm convinced that when a cat stops using the box and starts using furniture, clothing, etc., at leat 75% of the reason is habit. My litter boxes are spotless, too, and Delilah will use my bathtub or the shower. If your female is not yet spayed, it could be a marking behavior and spaying your cats may cut down on the marking. Cleaning furniture of cat pee should be left to a professional who has the equipment to deordorize those things. A friend suggested to me that I use a large Rubbermaid underbed storage box for my cats. She had cats who just didn't like the small boxes and the larger ones solved her problem. My boxes are in a closet where the cats feel safe and have their privacy. If the behavior continues, talk with your vet about what other steps you can take. With a little conversation, you may be able to pinpoint the reason she's turned against the boxes.