Post de-adoption question

About two months ago I took in what I thought was a stray kitten. I named her Scout, but about two weeks ago while I was taking her on a walk (I leash-trained her) her original family saw her and demanded me to give her back to them. Long story short, I ended up giving her back and crying for a week afterwards. I brought up the fact that there was no collar, no microchip, no one looking for her, not even a lost cat sign to indicate that she belonged to anyone. Now she comes and sits outside my window all day long, every day. I have no idea if she's going back to her original family for food or water. She has also started to use the dirt beds around the my apartments as a litter box. I have not seen them come looking for her, and I don't know if they will do anything different if I bring her to them again. I don't know how to get her to go to her home, she just keeps following me back to my home, wandering around the apartments, and sitting outside my window. I don't know what to do.

Asked by Member 1127888 on Aug 27th 2012 in Health & Safety

Answers

Sasafrace *Rest in Peace*

You need to look up the laws in your area but I know that in my area as long as you actively look for the owner (call vets, scan for microchip, post flyers or call a found report into the local shelter) then after 30 days the animal is legally yours. I found this out when my friend found a dog and kept it while looking for the owner, she then had to take it to the shelter as it kept trying to eat her cat...the shelter said since she had the animal for over 30 days and had gotten vet care for the animal legally it was hers and she had to pay a surrender fee. I would consult an lawyer and see what they recommend.

Sasafrace *Rest in Peace* answered on 8/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This one is easy, as I had a similar situation. Just keep the cat indoors, take it to the vet for a check-up, save receipts for vet care, food, toys, bedding, etc. If these people try to re-claim the kitty, ask them if they are prepared to reimburse you for caring for the cat. Chances are: 1) they aren't too concerned about this cat's well-being and won't come looking for it; and 2) I don't think they will want to fight for this cat in a court of law. That may scare them off. Just be tough! Keep the cat indoors, tell these jerks you haven't seen the cat (they don't deserve her), and hopefully they will back down if you use these tactics. I had spent $700 on a cat I found and my husband told me that the man on the next block over told him it was his cat (2 years later). I told my husband the man can't have the cat back after I spent over $700 to get her healthy and care for her all this time, as she was very ill when I found her. Good luck. Hope you keep the kitty!