Kevin

Playing and biting

My little 10 week old Kevin is so gorgeous and affectionate. When I let him play fight with my hands he mouths at my fingers with his teeth, it never hurts and is actually quite tickly. However I am unsure if he is consciously being gentle or is he just so tiny that he cant possibly hurt me yet? I think he knows its only play but I don't want to get him into any bad habits when he's a bigger cat and thinks biting and scratching is ok. Am I worrying over nothing or should I put a stop to this? Thanks.

Asked by Kevin on Aug 8th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

Unfortunately, you won't know the answer to that until he draws blood. There is an easy fix though: only let him play violently when you are wearing a thick, outdoor-type rubber glove. He will learn that when the glove is on, it's okay to bite, but otherwise it's not. After playtime is over, you can give him some feline Greenies treats (after 6 months of age) to clean his teeth and let him know biting time is done! ^_^