Peeing in Heat?

Dexter and Calie (both girls- age 11 months) are in heat (and driving mommy and daddy crazy)

They're getting spayed on May 20th (the earliest possible, others have suggested moving the appt up sooner, but i cant! it took 4 months to get this appt as it is!)

Last night i noticed pee on the shoe mat when i got home, and this morning daddy noticed pee in his sandle and was pretty mad.

I'm assuming this is happening only becuase they're in heat, i dont know who pee'd, but it's got to stop. They've never had litter box issues so I cant imagine it being anything other than being in heat.

Anything we can do to help tolerate/alter this behaviour, for... 23 horribly long days until they get snipped?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!~!!

Asked by Member 774505 on Apr 27th 2009 Tagged pee, heat in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Gracie

Was it pee, or was it the kittens spraying? Cats in heat do spray, even females. If it's a kitty spraying, it will smell different than cat pee (if you've ever been close to a cat using the box, you know what I'm talking about).

If you can't tell which is which, then it is ideal for you to watch the cats when you're at home. Look for signs of straining while peeing. If so, then whichever cat shows those symptoms might have a URI, which needs an immediate vet visit.

Honestly, I wouldn't wait nearly a whole month if you know your girls are in heat. I would call around and see if someone can spay them within a week, or ask the vet to move their date up. Your vet can not, should not be upset if you do that.

I doubt you'll be getting any more kittens any time soon, but for everyone reading this: the whole spraying and being in heat is why you don't want to wait beyond 6 months to spay or neuter a pet. Better to do it before your pet goes into heat for the first time.

Gracie answered on Apr 27th.

Answers

Call your vet to check if peeing is common while females are in heat. If it is can you confine them to a room with tile/vinyl like a bathroom for the next few weeks to limit accidents. Peeing outside the litter box can also be a sign of a urinary tract infection so if the vet doesn't think its from her being in heat you'll need to get that checked and get her some antibiotics.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Yes, female cats in heat can and often do mark with urine. Sometimes as bad as as the males. A vet visit to rule out a urinary tract infection is still recommended though. I would also make some phone calls and see if your vet can move up the appointment or if you can get them in sooner somewhere else. Try you local shelter/SPCA /animal control too. Sometimes they can help work something out. Four months to get an appointment is ridiculous. In the meantime be very careful watching doors and windows... If they get out they are virtually guarantee to come back pregnant. And girls in heat often do try and dart out doors to find a mate. Good luck!

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 4/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes, females sometimes pee when in heat. Leila did it a few times, and Chibi did it once. In their case, they just squatted as usual (but outside the litter box) and the urine smelled the same as regular urine. They didn't have URIs, and they were definitely in heat. They are breeding queens, so for me, spaying is out of the question for the next couple of years, but if they were simply pets, I would have spayed them by now. True, it is better to spay your cats before they go into heat, but there can be a big difference in how old cats are when they have their first heat; one of mine was 5 months old, another 10 months old. Therefore, sometimes a cat's first heat can take you by surprise. There's also something known as a silent heat, when the female is willing and able, but doesn't show any signs of being in heat. This is one reason why it's important to spay your cat early, unless you want to be surprised by an unwanted litter.