Ghost

Overly Playful Remedies

Hi, I have a 2 year old cat, named Whitey. He is very mischievous and playful. He plays a lot with our other cat Ghost, but Ghost has a much lower energy level. He gets human play time, and has many toys, including the one that goes around in circles under the sheet (highly recommend, both cats love it) and a ball in an infinity ring which he also likes. However, its still not enough and he will walk around the house meowing loudly for Ghost to play (which doesnt always happen) and then the mischief starts. Any toy recommendations? It seems like no matter what I do its not enough! He would play forever and I simply cant keep up with what he requires! I swear, hes part bengal (not really, but sometimes I wonder!).

Asked by Ghost on Aug 22nd 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Okay, he needs: more scratchers, more 99 cent toys (like a dozen- you never know what he'll like), a window perch, and a climbing tree that gives an out-the-window view. Then he will have something to do when the other cat is napping. Also, you can give him a few treats. Greenies are good because they have a purpose and are vet dentist recommended for removing tartar. I also have a battery-operated toy called cat's meow that keeps my cats interested for awhile and is available online or on home shopping channels. ^_^

Orion, as usual, gives excellent advice. Get as big a "cat tree" as you can afford and have room for. Lizzie and Izzie LOVE theirs. Also, when you play with Whitey, since he already has a super-charged energy level, try to keep a lot of his playtime low-key so he doesn't get too "worked up" and then go looking for Ghost. I just read about a cat food puzzle, made out of a plastic soda bottle with treats inside that will work Whitey's mind instead of getting him over-excited. Also, you can count on Ghost to set limits for Whitey. Older cats usually do. If Ghost tells Whitey to leave him alone, don't get involved as long as it's not a down and dirty fight. Don't yell at Ghost or Whitey when this happens. And if you have room, you can always explore the options of another playmate for Ghost! 8o)