Over the past 4 months, my 15 year old cat has started screaming these gutteral sounds during the night. When I get up

I got this cat 15 years ago from the Humane Society and the vet thought he was about a year old, he was spayed, I had him declawed, he's strictly inside and always seemed happy until we started feeding him cat treats about 2 years ago. After that, this cat that NEVER meowed, has become progressively chatty, to the point over the last few months of these gutteral meows in the middle of the night. He also drinks A LOT of water. We have cut back on the treats, I thing we should wean him completely, but my husband thinks he should be able to have something he likes so much, but has agreed to limit the amount. His urine and stool output seems fine, he does void LARGE amounts, but he also drinks alot of water.

Asked by Member 1131233 on Sep 17th 2012 Tagged cattreats, gutteralsounds, drinkinglotsofwater in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy

A vet visit is necessary. Your cat needs a medical work up. This could be diabetes,but without bloodwork - you will never know.
Make an appointment with your vet and get a definitive answer and then you can weigh the treatment options.
Good luck!

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy answered on 9/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hes probably upset because you had the ends of his toes cut off 15 years ago. Cats walk on their toes. The claws are an extension of the end toe joint. Declawing is like if I cut off the tips of all your fingers. There are other options than maiming your pet- you can get nail caps, or accept the cat the way he is-

I agree with what Purrcy said. Your cat needs to go to the vet for physical as well as neurological exams. Cats, like humans, can suffer from a type of dementia when they get old. If the old 7 human years to 1 cat year is used, your cat would be over 100 years old. It's possible that he is becoming "lost" in your house and frightened if he can't find you or doesn't recognize his surroundings. I doubt if the treats are causing any of his issues unless you truly do give them in excessive amounts. Izzie loves treats but only gets about 10 pieces of the Temptations a day. Kidney issues are very common among older cats and as Purrcy said, he does need to have blood work done and possible even a renal ultrasound. Purrs to your little guy!

Good thing for your kitty that you are very observant. Drinking lots of water, & urinating large amounts are 2 key signs of diabetes. Another key sign if weight loss. If you haven't already, go see your vet----barb