Our CAT is waking us up at 6am every morning!, HELP!

We've had our cat for about 2 months now, it was a rescue cat, is about a year and a half, such a lovely cat, but is waking us up at 6am every morning without fail, meowing outside our bedroom door..

how can we break this habit?

Asked by Member 1060918 on Oct 3rd 2011 Tagged meowing, waking, habit in Noisiness

Answers

I don't know what your normal schedule is, but you could try one of the following suggestions: 1) feed your cat a small can (3 oz.) of food before you go to bed and play with her to wear her out; or 2) get up at 6:00 a.m. and feed your cat and then go back to bed. Hopefully, one of these suggestions will work. Best of luck!

Chances are, your kitty is not hungry, just lonely. You can try "self-feeding" her and leaving her food out in a bowl all the time. People will say that the kitty will become obese, but I do this for my cats and none of the 3 are overweight. It's also possible that wherever she lived before, that person got up at 6AM and she thinks you should as well. When we moved last November, Izzie began singing arias outside our bedroom door. I finally left the door open and he comes and goes as he pleases, but mostly curls up on the bed with us or on the loveseat with the dog. If you don't object to having your kitty in the room with you at night, this might work.