One cat refusing to transition to new food. Is there another way to try this?

My two kitten just turned one. The vet said to switch them to adult food now. I followed his advise of starting with a quarter of new and three quarters old. The boy ate it with no hesitation. Our little girl won't eat it thou. Both ate the best foods we could find locally. Dry food since our little girl refuses to eat wet food at all. We gave in an offer straight kitten food and she ate some. Is there something I missed? Or another approach?

Asked by Member 1155496 on Feb 16th 2013 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

If it were allowed, I would bring my 3 cats into the store with me, open bags and cans and ask, "You like this one? How about THIS one?" And, there is no guarantee that what they approved of one day they would eat the next. If the female is refusing to eat, first make sure there is no other reason, such as her not feeling well. Or, the male pushing her away from the dish. We suggest that each cat have their own food dish. The female may need a slower transition with just a few tablespoons of the new to a bowl of the old. She simply may not like the taste of the food even though it is a prime quality food. As for refusing to eat the wet food,make sure she is drinking enough water. One of the main reasons to feed wet food is the water content of it. My cats have a bowl of water, a Petmate cat fountain, and 2 of them drink out of the dogs' Drinkwell fountain. Cats need water to keep their "plumbing" healthy, especially males. Check with your vet if she continues to refuse to eat.

Fiona

The reason you have to switch foods is because the young kitten food won't give your kitty the nutrients she needs as an adult, and might even make her plump. I like the idea of her having her own bowl. I had some issues with switching food and one day decided to spray the new cat food with a squirt from a water bottle and the cats checked it out. It may not work, but it is an idea. wet food is great because of the fact that it has more water and natural products, but over time, it is bad for their fangs (meant to pull meat/chew their food apart). You could mix in both(?). Another approach is to reward her with kitty dry food (one at a time).

Fiona answered on 2/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer