One cat hisses till the other attacks. Help?

So my cat and I moved in with my mom and her cat and there's been problems. Her cat will hiss at mine every time she sees her and at first mine would jut ignore her or walk away. Eventually though she started to fight back, chasing her and getting in her face. No big fights, though they have had a few swiping matches, but this sure as h*** ain't helping the hissing to stop. I feel bad always disciplining my cat for attacking when she's being highly provoked all the time, and I know it makes her even more resentful. Im sure she would stop if the hissing were to stop. Does any body have any ideas on how to bring peace between them?

Asked by Member 1208360 on Jan 8th 2014 Tagged newcats, hissing, attacking, chasing, fighting, females, aggression, cats in Aggression

Answers

Keep them separated when you are not home, and then provide supervision when you are. To deter hissing, carry around a spray water bottle with 2/3 water and 1/3 vinegar. Whoever hisses gets sprayed. It's cooking vinegar so it's not harmful but the cats don't like it more than regular water, so it serves as a sound deterrent. You can also positively reinforce so that when the cats are near and there is no hissing, give them a couple of SmartBites treats each. ^_^