New mother cat has been eating her kittens?

I have a 3 year old Bengal mix cat named Christmas, who a week ago today gave birth to 7 kittens,she's a very agressive, and spooky mother (toward me and the other cats, not her babies)so i haven't messed with the kittens much, and unless momma doesn't know they're there, the other cats can't even come upstairs without losing fur.

the day after the kittens were born, I peeked in on them, and counted only 6, after some shifting around the nest and some angry growling and spitting from Christmas who covered her kittens with her body as if I were a tomcat who would eat their heads off, i found the runts tail, i figured with was nature because the runt looked weak anyway. 2 days ago, the largest kitten was found half eaten on the floor infront of the nest, and yesterday the current runt was found the same way. the remaining four look healthy and momma is a vicious protector, she eats when she's hungry and drinks plenty of water and is healthy as well. any ideas what could be going on?

Asked by Member 1045182 on Aug 11th 2011 in Other Kittens

Answers

It's obvious that Christmas isn't meant to have kittens. She should be spayed as soon as possible and the kittens taken away and bottle fed. You can contact a shelter to see if they have a nursing mother who will accept the kittens. Christmas sounds almost feral. Is she this way when she's not nursing as well? Just sensing the presence of other animals in the house is enough to make some mother cats cannibalize her kittens, especially if she is as aggressive as you write she is. She really should not be allowed to have any more kittens.