Neighbor is threatening to kill feral cats!

My neighbor across the street told my husband last evening that he is going to kill any cat(s) that jump on the hood of his car. We know that this 70-something year old man has a BB gun and hates cats. There are several ferals in the neighborhood that I had fixed and vaccinated. I feed them and oversee that they are healthy. I have had three feral cats disappear in the past three years. I suspect he did something to them. I heard that he recently killed a groundhog. Should I call police? I don't want to wait until I am missing another cat or find a dead cat. I also don't want to blame this man either. Not sure what to do.

Asked by Member 185886 on Aug 5th 2010 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

Do not attempt to confront this man. He may have other weapons in his home that you are not aware of. In addition, he could be suffering from a mental disorder that could escalate. Contact your local humane officer, through your police department. And, enlist the aid of a local rescue organization, explaining to them that you are involved in trapping, neutering and returning ferals in your area. Running your own TNR program is costly and time-consuming and you could probably use the help of an animal welfare organization. You must be very careful in dealing with this man and stay within the parameters of the law. I'd suggest filing a police report regarding his threats. Feral cats do disappear and he may not have had anything to do with it. Without proof, there is not much you can do. However, if the rescue/shelter or the police use their resources find proof that he is abusing animals, in addition to discharging firearms with city limits, they can prosecute him.

Pickles

I agree with the other answer I would report him to the authorities - he made a threat - report him!

Pickles answered on 10/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hidey

by feeding and getting vet care for them these cats are legally your responsibility and property. He has threatened to "damage" your property so call the police and file a report. Tell them you know he has a BB gun and has already killed an animal.Also report the missing cats. The feral cats could already have BBs in them and you just can't see. I'd have them all looked at. Look for small scabs or bumps.

Hidey answered on 2/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer