Need help with food-obsessed cat

My cat Spencer recently lost half his body weight from dieting (he went from 22 pounds to 11). Now that he's down to a healthy weight all he does is cry for food even if he just finished eating or is in the middle of eating and I go into the kitchen to grab something. His behavior concerned me enough that I took him to the vet wondering if there was something physically wrong with him. After he was diagnosed with a clean bill of health the vet recommended Feliway, which I've tried and have so far noticed no changes. His constant cries are driving a wedge between him and my husband (who isn't a big cat person to begin with) and I'm worried about this behavior getting worse. I don't want to leave dry food out for him because that's what made him fat in the first place...but at least when he was fat he seemed happier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Member 1107803 on Apr 26th 2012 in Noisiness

Answers

Maybe what he really wants is attention. Try petting, brushing, or playing with him when he meows at you to see if that settles him down.