Need advice on Aggressive shelter kitty- I work at a shelter that is low kill and we have a couple of cats that have bee

Asked by Member 1126696 on Aug 20th 2012 Tagged aggressive, angry, shelter, cat in Behavior & Training

Answers

Shelters are a tough environment for animals, no matter how wonderful the staff and facility is. The animals are on sensory overload, and if they've lived a tough life, it just makes matters worse. When I adopted Delilah, she'd been in the shelter for over a year. She was a crabby little biter, independent and aloof. It took me almost 2 years to convince her I was her friend, and that was living in my home and not in the shelter. If the cat has been examined and has no health concerns, you might try Feliway plug ins in your cat rooms. There is also Bach's Rescue Remedy, a natural anti-anxiety med. But these need to be used with behavioral therapy. It takes time. It's a matter of gaining the trust of the animals and sometimes the odds are against us if they've been abused or neglected. I would advise that you proceed with caution. Cat attacks can be serious and very painful. Try to have the same person work with these cats, exposing them to too many people can make the situation worse.