My two year old female cat had a litter of kittens two months ago. Since then she is severely beating my 6 year old

male cat. They were fine before the birth (he's not the father). He is hiding upstairs and won't come down on his own. He screams to go out to get away from her. He does not touch or care about the kittens. What is happening? They are both neutered and spayed.

Asked by Member 1135378 on Oct 11th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Joey

It sounds like she perceives the male as a threat to the kittens. I would keep them separated until the mama cat has calmed down and feels more secure. You say the female is spayed - but she just had a litter 2 months ago? If she is still intact you will want to get her spayed - as well as all the kittens. A trip to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea just to make sure mama cat is well and there isn't a medical reason for her lashing out. Unfortunately, separation is the best advice I can give you at this time. Get everyone fixed and if you intend to keep the kittens you can try to slowly socialize them into the family and introduce them to the male in time. See the vet. Good luck.

Joey answered on 10/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer