My three year old cat is suddenly sneezing. Should i be concerned about his health and my childrens? Cannot afford vet!

bouts of sneezing, just come all of a sudden. our other cat seems fine. just started witht he one cat out of the blue. they are indoor cats and never go outside. they sit in the open windows at times. just concerned about his health and that of my children. it it contagious to them.

Asked by Member 896635 on Oct 3rd 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

There is nothing cats could have that would be contagious to your children. There are very few things humans and cats can both catch and URIs or other sneezy things are not a possibility. I am not sure what to say about the "can't afford a vet" part. I would not have my cats if I could not afford to properly care for them. If he gets more ill and begins to lose his appetite or become lethargic, he needs to see a vet. A little sneezy but everything else is fine, I would not be too worried yet as long as his vaccines are up to date.

Spice

Sometimes kitties get kitty colds and maybe allergies to certain things. I don't think it is contagious either. If other symptoms arise he needs to go to the vet. Ask the vet if you can pay on a monthly basis. Also, call different vets, they charge differently. I never sneezed until my human took me home. She used to smoke cigarettes and I didn't like it. She quit 5 months ago and I still sneeze, but not as much. My brothers and sisters don't sneeze so I didn't give it to them.

Spice answered on 10/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's difficult for a lot of us to afford vet care for our animals during times like this, but it's a responsibility we take on when we make animals part of our family, even if when we bring them home times aren't quite so rough. Many vets will accept payment plans if you are a regular client. Shelters and rescues also know of vets who will treat at a lower cost. Many spay/neuter clinics also will do regular health care on animals. As the others have said, a few sneezes here and there doesn't indicate an illness and it isn't contagious to your children. But, definitely work something out if he becomes lethargic, stops eating or starts hiding.