My sweet cat is all of the sudden acting very aggressive.

Hello! My little baby, my otherwise very sweet and affectionate 2 year old black cat Sadie all the sudden started acting very aggressive yesterday. She is hissing, growling and swatting at me and my boyfriend for no apparent reason. We have racked our brains trying to figure out if we did anything to scare her and can't think of anything. She has never done this before! It's so bad I'm scared to touch her. We took her to the vet and they did some blood work and it all came back normal. I don't know what else to do. Any advice would help.
Yes she has been spayed.

Thanks a lot!

Windy

Asked by Member 560352 on Jan 19th 2008 Tagged hissing, growling, swatting, hiding in Aggression

Answers

My one kitty was aggressive one time when she was in pain. I'd keep a close eye on her for any other symptoms you could report to your Vet. Maybe he/she missed something.
I wouldn't try to pet her right now, but don't stop spending time with her. You'll need to keep observing her and she'll appreciate the attention. Maybe offer some treats or a warm small blanket or towel or a cosy box or bed.
Sometimes a strange cat viewed out the window can trigger what's called a Displaced Aggression Reaction. The strange cat can't be run-off so the aggression is let loose on you.
There is also a product, Feliway, that calms cats, Plug-in or spray. And some cats get more positive with catnip. I put catnip in the carrier for some of my kitties for Vet trips.

I agree. It may be a medical issue and blood work won't tell you is she's in pain somewhere in her body. Also, could she have been scared by someone or something? We had an earthquake here in Cleveland a few months ago, and my otherwise nearly "cat" atonic cats got ALL weirded out. Re-check your environment and the people Sadie comes in contact with (and possibly other animals) and see if anything has gone wrong or changed. Cats are such sensitive little creatures, it sometimes doesn't take much to upset their little world. Be patient and live your lives normally. Treat her as you always have. Try not to focus on Sadie and her issues and let her come to you.

rumple

CATS BECOME LIKE THAT WHEN IN PAIN. MAYBE TOOTH ACHE OR SOMETHING. DID THE VET HAD ANY ADVICE OR JUST SENT U HOME AFTER BLOOD WORK CAME NORMAL?
DID U SMELL LIKE OTHER CAT? CATS WILL HISS AT FOREIGN SMELL TOO SOMETIMES...

rumple answered on 1/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer