My Russian Blue has this incredible meow that no one around me has ever heard from a cat before. Its a howl like sound

Asked by Member 812479 on Mar 7th 2009 in Noisiness

Answers

Bailey

I don't know what a Russian Blue is supposed to sound like. But I can tell you that one of my persians makes very odd noises too. They are very quiet cats in general but Bailey will walk around making these strange "hoot" like noises and sad wailing wow wow mow when she is trying to find me. It's her way of calling to me and nobody else does it but her. Everybody who hears it thinks she's strange. But she's just being Bailey. It's normal for her. Apollo is just choosing to express himself in an individual way too!

Bailey answered on 3/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bailey is absolutely right. Just like humans, cats have different vocalizations. Izzie calls out something that sounds like "Oh...ma!" over and over when it's time for him to eat. However, having said that, I have to ask if Apollo is neutered? If not, he may truly be howling to go outside to mate. But as long as Apollo acts and looks normal, his sounds are perfectly OK and a part of his individuality!

Spike

Russian Blues are considered to be relatively quiet cats. Your cat's howling, unless related to health/behavioral issues or to not being neutered, are probably just an individual characteristic. Personally, I love talkative cats, and wish my own crew would talk to me more. By the way, the photo of you enjoying "skinship" (Japanese word!) with your human is just too cute. Advice: learn the lingo, and answer back. Cats like that. My first pair may have had Siamese blood in them, and were extremely talkative. Sometimes we talked in English, sometimes in Japanese, and sometimes in Cat. But their "Cat" had a Siamese/Oriental accent, and my present cats find it extremely funny.

Spike answered on 3/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My cat has the same meow! I've had him for the past 12 years now and I've only heard him "meow" once. All the other times it has been more like a howl sound. He is 17 and whenever he doesn't have any food or water or is just complaining, he'll sit at my stairs howling until I tell him to be quiet or I go up to him. He has the loudest purr I've ever heard and he's sweet. Also, I've had a neighbor who had a younger Russian Blue and I've heard her a couple of times howling.