Cosmo

My recently adopted kitty Cosmo I believe is deaf but is there a way I can tell for sure?

Asked by Cosmo on Apr 22nd 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

max

Cat eat bagged food? Rattle bag cat eat canned food? Open can it doesn't take a ninja warrior to hear what smallest of predators hear

max answered on 4/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a deaf kitty and the way we worked out he was deaf was:
- he played with the vacuum cleaner (few cats do because of the noise)
- when he fell asleep we yelled and clapped and he didn't respond
- he's white (a lot of white cats are deaf)

Hope this helps :)

Azurine Ambrosia

my son has a deaf kitty, we noted he did not turn when we talked to him, if we dropped something on the floor he did not move or looked, he always is looking from side to side and around to make sure if something is near him. Our vet uses a clicker and clicks it behind their ears. if they do not move they can not hear. Boofus, now is learning sign language, we get his attention with the clicker, or make a clucking sound as they sometimes can pick that noise up or in his case we very gently touch his head. when he looks , we tap our chest for him to come, for food we pick up the bag and show him , we have different signals for different things, he now comes and touches us as Boofus cannot mew out loud either as he cannot hear himself, he lost his hearing when he was dumped in the winter time and his ears frooze, my son adopted him. so watch him, see what he turns for, what noises he hears, how he responds and at all times approach him in the front so he can see you. They do very well.

Azurine Ambrosia answered on 5/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer