Kitten

My poor kitty has a red and swollen anus that is somewhat like a protruding bubble...

my poor kitty has a red and swollen anus that is somewhat like a protruding bubble. I don't know if its related, but I have also been finding tufts of fur around the house. I assumed its because she's been going stir-crazy being inside 24/7... She's had parasites before, but she doesn't go outside now so I don't think it could be them. Her poop still smells horrendous, but I don't know if that is normal. She doesn't act like she's in pain at all, she's a very active 1 year old. What might she have? Is it something I can fix at home, or will it need vet intervention?

Asked by Kitten on Jan 15th 2009 Tagged red, swollen, butt, fur in Health & Wellness

Answers

She might have to have her anal sacs expressed. Very common and nothing to be alarmed about. They can easily handle that at the vet's office.

Is she eating and going potty ok? It sounds like she may be constipated and the protruding, sore anus may be from straining to go. You said her poops smells awful so she must be going, but is it solid? And is she spending a lot of time in the box trying to go? I would at least call the vet and ask what you can do or if you should bring her in. But I am a nut when it comes to anything being wrong with my babies and my vet is used to getting calls from me since I have 5 of them. :)

Take her to a vet as thats not normal. It could be her anal glands or maybe the start of a prolapse that could be very serious. Take her to a vet for an exam to figure out what's wrong and they'll be able to help her.

I don't have an answer, but I have a cat with the same condition. Googled "red swollen anus" and got you. Did you find any answers yet ?

I have had her to the vets twice and treatment Medrol tablets and shot have helped, but condition returns.

If you can help email me at WV440@Yahoo.com thanks

O.T. (Orange Thing)

Definitely take you cat to the VET. You mentioned parasites? What kind of parasites?
What breed or dominant breed mix is your cat?
Some breeds and their mixes are very, very sensitive and will pull out their fur.

Does your cat have diahrea?

IF the poop smells horrendous, there are many possibilities, one being Tritrichomonas foetus' which is a single celled flagellated protozoan parasite.

Bottom line, this is HARD to diagnosis and can take up to 9 Months to clear up. AFTER you find out what is happening at the Vets (mention the TRITrichomonas), and clear it up, you may want to get an additional cat to keep your baby company while you are at work or gone.

Get back to the vet pronto.
O.T.

O.T. (Orange Thing) answered on 11/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer