MAGGIE MAY(in loving memory)

My poor cat cannot move. Her front legs seem paralyzed. The vet said its not an injury or a blood clot.

In order for them to know, they need to do an MRI. It costs $3,000. We don't have that kind of money. What are our options? What could it be? She is eating & drinking & purring, but just cannot move.

Asked by MAGGIE MAY(in loving memory) on Jan 31st 2010 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Ask the vet what the possoble options are that they are trying to diagnose with the MRI. It may be possible to treat for these things without the MRI and just seeing if the treatment works or not. If the vet thinks this is safe you could avoid the $3000 MRI.

Also what you have sounds similar to what Leo (www.catster.com had so check out his diary. He was treated successfully so if you think it sounds like what you had you could pmail his mum for details and tyhe contact info for his vet so your vet could talk to them for advice.

Leo Lovebug ♥

Hi Maggie May,

I also responded to your post in the health forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your legs. Sassy is right, it sounds similar to what Leo had although his problem started in his back legs.

Sassy gave good advice; talk to the vet about what they think the MRI might show and what the treatment would be. Leo had electrodiagnostic testing by a neurologist. This testing was half the price of the MRI and got the diagnosis right; Leo ended up not needing an MRI. Leo's diagnosis was peripheral neuropathy- the messages from his brain were not getting through to his limbs. He was not in pain but he could not stand or walk. They do not know exactly what caused this condition.

Is there a neurologist in your area that you could consult with? The neurologist that Leo saw was great and knew exactly what was happening (the other vets Leo saw had no idea what was wrong with him). Leo was better within a day on medication, able to walk again. He is now almost fully recovered.

I don’t know if this is what Maggie May has but hopefully it is something that is easily treated like this condition. Please contact me if I can be of any help. Take care.

Leo Lovebug ♥ answered on 2/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer