My one year old cat has been attacking(slapping) my four year old cat whom she grew up with. Why is she doing this?

When she was little my four year old was mean to her until she realized she wasn't going anywhere and my love for her didn't change. Now the roles are swiched. Is my one year old jelous? I love on them equally! If she is how can I persuade her to behave? It don't want them to go to war so to speak.

Asked by Member 860206 on Aug 12th 2009 in Aggression

Answers

It depends on what you mean by "attacking". is there yowling, hissing, fur flying, injuries and blood? When Izzie wants to play with Lily Rose, he'll go over and bop her on the head. (Such a gentleman). If she doesn't want to play, she'll hiss and growl, he'll get the message and leave. But when they do play, you'd swear they were fighting the War of the Worlds. Your older cat, when the younger was little, was setting the ground rules. This is not "mean", but just life. Does your 4 year old retaliate? If it's really nasty with all the things I mentioned above, you can do 2 things. Get a metal can filled with pennies and shake it at them when they start. This will startle them and stop the fighting if that's what it is. If the 1 yr. old starts it and the 4 year old wants to get away and can't, put the 1 yr. old in a short "time out" in another room. But first make sure that they aren't just playing like cats do.