My older kitten is licking my younger kittens butt hole why?

i just got two kittens one is older then the other and the older one keeps licking the little ones butt hole. Constantly. I just need to know why it is doing this. I also don't know wether or not they are male or female.

Asked by Member 643877 on Jun 16th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

How old are they? Very young kittens don't know how to go to the bathroom by themselves so Momcat licks their behind, which makes them go to the bathroom, and she cleans it up. If you have a very young kitten, I suppose this could be a possibility. On the other hand, cats just tend to like to sniff each other's rear ends (like dogs) and sometimes groom each other, if they have a close relationship. The word "constantly" has me a bit worried. Could there be a medical problem with the younger one? If so, one would think it would be the younger one who is licking himself (for example, if he had worms). You might want to get this checked out at the vet's. Speaking of vets, since you don't even know the sex of your cats, I assume that means you haven't been to a vet yet. You should get to one soon, to give the little ones their first check up and shots. And if you wait too long before figuring out their sexes, you might have a sudden litter of kittens. To the vet ASAP! Purrs!

Agreeing with Leila. You should probably go ahead and have your babies checked out by a vet to make sure everything is okay. Worms in kitten are pretty common, but also very easily taken care of.