My older cat has developed a sneezing, drooling problem and her coat is matting.

I have had her to the vet and they give her a shot but after a short period of time it all comes back.

Asked by Member 730972 on Dec 8th 2008 Tagged sneezing, drooling, hairmatting in Health & Wellness

Answers

What you really need to do is have a frank discussion with your vet and ask them what their diagnosis is for your kitty. Ask if this is a problem that will continue to reoccur, or do they think you should take her to a specialist. Or, is there some other course of treatment that they could prescribe for her that would work for her for a longer period. The shot sounds like a "quick fix", but you sound like you feel she needs something that will work long-term.

Without knowing her age, her diagnosis or what that shot is that she is getting, it's hard for anybody to judge what else might help. But I think the best advice I can give anyone is to make a list of your questions when you visit your vet and write the answers down. At first I am amazed when I read how little information people are getting when they actually have seen a vet but then I realized that I get most of my info because I ASK. What are you doing and why? How should I expect her to feel today after this treatment? What should I watch for? Is there something else I can be doing at home that will help long term? Should I be feeding her differently or giving her supplements? I anticipate things they will ask me and I go in prepared to tell them how much she ate, if her poo is solid, if she drinks and pees ok. You only get so much of the vet's time so make the most of it and get what you are paying for.

Freckles (1993-2011)

She may have more than one thing wrong with her. Sneezing sounds like a URI/resporatory infection - this is like a human cold but affects cats worse. The drooling could be from bad teeth - common in an older cat. Coat matting is probably a side effect of the other things and indicates she is felling lousy and not grooming herself. All these are treatable but a single shot from the vet is unlikely to cure any of these.

The others are right, go back to your vet and ask them questions about what they think is wrong, how serious it is and what treatment is needed. If you don't get good answers or they don't seem interested because your cat is old go find another vet in your area. The local tab on catster will let you find vets in your area that have been rated by other catsters. If you can find a vet that specialises in cats that is always good as they'll be familiar with all the typical issues that older cats get.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 12/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer