my neighbor trapped my cat took him to the vet, and had my cat salem put to sleep.. is their anything i can do legally

Asked by Member 1030156 on Apr 11th 2011 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy

You could try, but not very likely to win:
www.animallaw.info
read #3
So sorry to hear this - your neighbor must be a real piece of work.

~Purrcy ~ Meohmy answered on 4/11/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am absolutely stunned that any vet would accept a cat like that and so quickly put him to sleep. Your neighbor must have lied and said it was his cat and he wanted it euthanized. No vet I know would willingly euthanize a healthy cat like that. If someone brought in a cat they didn't want, the vet would contact a rescue or shelter to come get the cat. I would contact your city prosecuter or law department and see what the regulations in your city are. However, if Salem was causing problems with your neighbor and he complained to you about it and you did nothing, you may not get too far. This is the risk we take when we let our cats outdoors.

That is horrible I'm sorry but most likely you are not going to win