My mom's cat has scabs all over his body. I noticed where he was laying there were red bugs about the size of a pin head

I'm assuming they are ticks, but not sure what kind? She's taking him into the vet :(

Asked by Member 988910 on May 25th 2010 in Skin Problems

Answers

Sounds more like fleas or chiggers. See what the vet says.

I agree...ticks are not usually in large groups. They may get one or two but not enough to notice where he was laying and they usually bite and clamp in to their skin to suck blood. They would not be visible on the furniture. May be mites of some sort. The vet is the way to go!

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a

Maybe you can help mom by giving the area a real good cleaning. No bug spray if kitty lays there! A good washing and vacuum if rug will really help. And wash any blankets he was on. Purrs.

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a answered on 5/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer