Freddy

My male kitten who was recently neutered is still peeing on the carpet. How do i get him to stop?

My 10 month old male cat was neutered about a week ago and he has been peeing on the carpet in the living room and on our kitchen rugs for a few months now. It doesn't seem like he's spraying to mark his territory because he's not going up against anything and the spots of urine are large. We did move his litter box down the basement a few months ago, but that is because we can't have it upstairs anymore. We have another cat, but they each have their own litter boxes. They also aren't covered boxes. We have always been using the same type of litter and they didn't seem to mind it before. I also noticed that my kitten pooped right outside of the litter box before too. I have bought a few different types of pet cleaners (Kids and Pets most recently) and i use febreeze for pet odor, but they don't seem to work at all. He is going a little less now since the neutering, but he's still peeing on the carpets. I love him dearly, but this is a real problem. How can i get him to stop this?

Asked by Freddy on Jan 26th 2009 Tagged urine, kittens, neutered, carpets in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

It's possible that your cat may have an a urinary tract infection that was exacerabted by the neutering. If he was not using his litter box, you may have wanted to mention that to your vet before neutering as they would have been inclined to do a urine culture. To completely eradicate the smell of urine, you need to use an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution, available at pet stores and some groceries. Febreze does not eliminate the odor, it just covers it up and your kitty can still smell where he peed. If he's also pooping outside the box, he may need a bigger one. Some cats don't realize that their business end is hanging over the box.

Izzie's right. Febreeze isn't going to get rid of the problem. I personally use Simple Solution and it works great. You can get it at Petsmart for not so much. If the kitty "smells himself" on the carpet, he'll be inclined to use that area again because it's "his". You might want to shampoo the rugs as well. Bissell makes a really good shampoo especially for pet stains and odors.

Was Freddy using the box before his surgery? I moved Oscar's box once and it was not good. He wouldn't use it AT ALL until it was moved back to it's original spot. Cats are not big fans of change.

Hunter

Both kitties are right. first you need to be sure that it's not a UTI. The vat can take a urine sample and have that tested. Behavioral problems will continue if infection is involved.

Changing litter box locations can also be a problem. If he was using it before the neuter in it's new location then that's likely not the culprit but if he wasn't then you may want to move it back to it's original location to see if he goes in it.

Lastly, it takes several weeks for the testosterone to leave the males body once they are neutered so this could be a result of him still marking territory. This should diminish over the next few weeks if this is the case.

Hunter answered on 1/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer