My male cat won't stop urinating on my husband's clothes.

I have a two year old male cat that constantly pees, not sprays, on anything my husband touches! Clothes, towels, blankets, etc. He leaves my things alone. He's neutered. He doesn't have a UTI, there's no changes in his food, his litter box, no moves, any changes whatsoever (sorry, I just get asked this question alot!) The weird thing is, this cat loves my husband. He follows him EVERYWHERE. Sleeps with him, lays on him, but yet, the second my husband lays his coat down, or tosses a blanket aside to get up and get something, he comes back and there's a puddle of urine! I'm at my wit's end. I do NOT want to get rid of my cat, I love him to death. His behavior is causing my other 2 males to continue the behavior. I am out of ideas. Has anyone else had this problem? A friend of mine suggested "kitty prozac" has anyone put their cats on this for this type of behavior, and did it work?

Asked by Member 795264 on Jan 21st 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Lexus

Here is a thread that you may want to look at regarding urinating cats

www.pets.ca

Lexus answered on 1/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Are your cats neutered? This sounds like marking behavior. Since he likes your husband, he seems to be marking hubby's things as his own. If he is already neutered, then I would try something less serious than prozac like an herbal remedy before you go that far. Check out Bach's Rescue Remedy or a Feliway diffuser which are more natural.You said he does not have a UTI so I assume you have already seen the vet? Your vet would be the best source to ask if Prozac is right for your cat.

Hunter

Have you had a urinalysis performed?? If not you need to start there. Behavioral problems will continue if there is an infection. Once infections are cleared then the behavior often fixes itself. If you've had this performed then discussing with your vet behavior modification or medications. They are likely to start with behavior modification first to see if that works before starting medications.

Hunter answered on 1/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hello, I'm called the cat lady by the police which are
excited cause I've been feeding pharo cats which all
have been fixed.. when out feeding we pet them etc.
when we get home our's has to smell our hands
and our clothes and they seem happy about it.
However a long time ago one of the cats urinated
on a pile of dirty clothes... The vet said there was
some smell on the clothes he did not like...
This could be part of the answer...The clothes could
pick up odors from work, the car, where ever your
husband has been and it upsets the cat...
Thanks....gloria the cat lady.... Calif.

Howie

My Howie pees on anything out of place--a coat in the floor, towels in the living room, shoes in the bathroom, my purse on the bed. He's been doing this since he was a kitten, and only pees on stuff that is out of place.

The vet said it was kinda an OCD thing, that something had invaded his pristine space, and his peeing on it was because of two things--to show his displeasure with this thing that doesn't belong there, and trying to make it belong there by marking it.

Howie has made me a much cleaner person over the years. When I introduce something new into the house, like a rug or pillow, it gets a good dosing of dried catnip, and then he's OK with it. I guess your husband is going to have to make sure his stuff is never left lying around.

BTW, I also had a cat growing up that didn't like anything on the floor, even throw rugs. My mom tried everything, including kitty prozac, which did work somewhat, be she just learned no stuff on the floor.

Howie answered on 1/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am no Pro by any means, but I do have some ideas as I am dealing with the same problem. I have 2 neutered males and 1 spayed female. All of my cats get along. They sleep together, play together, bathe each other, etc. The dominant male, Jinx, is the one with the problem. I notice that if he catches me petting the other male, he becomes agressive towards the other male. He pees on my personal items of clothing and on blankets, or bedding that I've slept in; he never pees on the rug or carpet or floor or anywhere else---it always seems to be my personal items. I submit that your cat, in some inexplicable way, is marking your husband as his own personal property. And, while he surely loves you, perhaps there's a little feline/human rivalry going on for your husbands affections. I believe my cat is jelouse of the other male cat, and is demonstrating his "ownership" of me by marking my clothing, and through his sometimes aggression towards the other cat. Any comments?