My Male cat has been Peeing everywhere He pees in our laundry baskets blankets Just tonight he peed on top of my husband

It has been happening for awhile but it keeps getting worse.

Asked by Member 921369 on Nov 22nd 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Mr D - D'boat #19

I would take him to the vet and get him checked for a UTI problem. If he does have one it can be serious, and if he becomes blocked he can die. If caught in time, with meds and the right food they can do very well and be back to his old self as soon as.
Please do have him checked if it is nothing they may have other suggestions. But it does sound like it, if he's just started doing it.

Mr D - D'boat #19 answered on 11/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

Honey,

your cat is trying to send you a message. The message may be that it hurts to pee in the box. Like the other poster said, I would take him to the vet and have his urine tested. He might have a UTI, which means that he has to receive care for it before he might consider starting to use his box again. Untreated UTIs can get really bad, and then your cat won't simply pee on things, he'll start to pee blood. He needs to go to a vet asap to prevent all sorts of complications (like a blockage, which could be deadly if not caught on time).

I have to ask something else, just in case: is your cat neutered? Because some cats say "I need to be let out so I can find a girlfriend" or "This is my home base" by spraying on things, especially if they are full of male hormones. If your kitty is not neutered, you definitely want to get that done, as it will really cut down on the behavior in question.

Either way, the solution begins with a vet visit.

Gracie answered on 11/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Spike

Yes, a UTI and not being neutered are the two major causes for male cats peeing in inappropriate places. Another possibility is that the toilet is not as clean as it could be, or your cat doesn't like the location of the box or the litter. Another cause could be stress. Have there been any changes in your household recently? The places he chooses to pee on suggest that he may be marking his territory. Recently, I acquired a stud cat (not neutered; we're a cattery) and he is unusual in that he doesn't spray. Spike, however (neutered at an early age) was infuriated by this intact interloper, and started spraying urine on the wall. Currently, Spike's being kept caged for "re-education" purposes, and when he's finally allowed out, I'm going to put kitty diapers on him until I'm sure the problem is solved.

Spike answered on 11/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pink Nose

If there is no medical problem, your cat is upset or anxious about something or someone or other animals. Do you have other pets? small or loud children? Do you make your cat travel in a car with you? My sister made her cats travel until one of them peed everywhere upon arrival to the second home. Pay attention to what is causing the stress of the kitty and make an attempt to stop whatever is causing that stress. Is the cat declawed? That almost always causes behavioral problems since they get traumatized by having their defense mechanism and part of their paws amputated! If not spayed or neutered - have that done. Try to play with the cat and comfort the cat at least once a day. Maybe the cat is just trying to get some attention and feels ignored.

Pink Nose answered on 11/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer