My long hair cat has terribly dry, fly-away fur.

This creates a problem when trying to groom her as it creates a lot of static and her skin is sensative. Is there such a thing as a moisturiser or hair treatment for cats? Or has anyone any other helpful suggestions please.

Asked by Member 1158944 on Mar 15th 2013 in Grooming

Answers

Lizzie has very thick, silky fur and I have the same problem that you do. First of all, if you are using one of those wire "slicker" brushes, this promotes static. Wire conducts electricity and it's making the situation worse. I use a plastic brush that I actually got at a grocery store, but I'm sure they have plastic or rubber bristle brushes at pet stores as well. One is called a "zoom groom". I have a purple "cat-shaped" one. It has long rubber "fingers" on it. It's OK for quick, daily brushing, but during heavy shedding seasons, a different brush is required. I've also mixed a few capfuls of human baby spray-on conditioner and also pet conditioner with water and sprayed it on the brush--not on her. No cat is a big fan of being sprayed. You can also use dryer sheets and rub them on her if you don't mind your cat smelling like your laundry. If she is not enamored of grooming, keep your sessions short. Mine with Izzie are about 30 seconds long before he starts biting the brush.

I can tell you that my cat Beep had the worst coat ever when I first took her in as a stray. And I listened to the vet back then and fed her a horrible diet of dry science diet food. Her coat was was you describe your cats, dry, fly-away, awful, she shed horribly. Then we had issues with UTI's with our cats, and switched everyone to an all wet food diet. We usually feed Wellness, which is expensive, but they don't eat as much because it has a lot of meat in it and little fillers. My cats have the most gorgeous, luxurious coats, and they feel like velvet! The vets always ask me "what do you feed your cats", and I have converted 2 of my vets to feeding their own cats Wellness. They don't shed, they look amazing. I believe diet has EVERYTHING to do with their coats and I don't believe any vet that says otherwise.

Nika

A high quality protein rich food will definitely help her coat overall. For a daily treatment you might try using PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray. It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and is amazing at helping with itchy spots/dry skin/bumps/etc. Spray it all over her daily and brush or rub down into her fur and skin. It will help moisturize and is great for sensitive cats! I hope this helps.

Nika answered on 3/18/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miki

Miki has also had this problem. Her coat used to be very dry and flyaway, and she even had some dandruff. After adding more protein to her diet, I looked at the kind of brush I was using to groom her. I was using a wire slicker brush, which was only perpetuating the problem. Now I use a comb, which works really well. You may want to consider this! :)

Miki answered on 4/25/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer