My kitten's tummy is swollen, I think...

I just got a new kitten. She was rescued from a neglectful home. She is about a month or two old. When we first got her (2 weeks ago) she was a skinny little thing, now her stomach is rather large and Im afraid it might be swollen.
Were taking her to the vet tomorrow, any ideas on what it could be?
She's not anymore lethargic and I can't tell if she's feverish because I'm not sure how to measure that sort of thing.

We have a dog. If thats relevant.

Asked by Member 641643 on Jun 6th 2008 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Cow and Bahji

It's most likely worms. They're common in kittens especially if they came from outdoors or a not-so-good environment. At the vet they'll give her a dewormer and she'll be good in a few days if that is want it is.
In the meantime keep her litterbox away from the dog, if he gets into the poo he could get the worms as well.
To test a cats temperature feel their ears, they should be cool to slightly warm, depending on how warm it is in the room. If they are hot or look reddish then there's a likely fever, also like with dogs, cats noses are wet when healthy and dry and crusty when sick.

Cow and Bahji answered on 6/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer