Libby

My kitten's been having some black stuff in her nose, and I want to know if its normal.

My little darling Libby has had some black stuff in her nose, I think its boogers, but they don't look like it to me. It looks like wet, stringy, linty stuff to me. I know its nothing serious and were taking her to the vet to get her shots, but I just want to know if she has a little cold or something. Thanks!

Asked by Libby on Nov 11th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Mack

It's probably boogers, my cat gets the same thing every once and a while. Just try and see if it comes off when you pick at it with your fingernail, if it doesn't maybe you could loosen it up with a warm washcloth.

Mack answered on 11/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Daphne

I agree, it is probably some discharge from the nose, sometimes dust from litter can cling to a the little corners of the nose. I moisten a q-tip and roll it lightly under their delicate nose to help loosen, I might do this a few times through the day.
Try to avoid wiping it right off if it does not come off easily, you may actually pull some of the tender skin and it will look raw and just get more dirty. If the skin looks raw try a small amount of vitamin e.
Take a capsule and stick a pin in it so you can get a small amount of gel, then apply lightly, it will be sticky, but it really works well in healing any issues in this sensitive area.

Daphne answered on 11/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My 9 month old kitten also has had the black gunk in his nose. I had it checked and our veterinarian said it is most likely due to an immune system issue that kittens have. She told us to sprinkle one cap full of L-Lysine (the same one that I take for my immune system) into his food each day. There was no time limit for this treatment. She said to just keep it up until it goes away. It may take many months. Now having said this, please note I am only posting this as a point of information about my darling guy, Mac. YOU, should consult your own vet about your cat. Best of luck!