My kitten won't use his litter tray on his own

When I notice my kitten needs to pee/poo I put him in his litter box and he does his business no problem but never goes to the box on his own accord, he just chooses to pee on the carpet or poo in the kitchen in the corner, please help...Thanks in advance

Asked by Member 1210046 on Jan 17th 2014 in Kittens

Answers

How old is this kitten? It looks young to be separated from its mother. Can he jump into the box on his own? If not, the box is too large. Thy a training litter for kittens, which smells more appealing. You also have to teach him how to cover his poop, since he did not learn from his mother. Otherwise, your home will be stinky. Feed him a healthy kitten food for his first year such as MaxCat dry... he needs to be eating solid food soon if he isn't already. Finally, be patient, and temporarily move the box to a more central location so he can smell it. Use a pheromone reducing liquid to remove the urine on the rug, or he will continue to resoil in the same spots indefinitely. When there are no more accidents, you can move the box closer and closer to its permanent location. ^_^