Domino

My kitten was neutered. He has an e-collar on and my vet is recommending he wears it for 10 days. Is this needed?

Domino was neutered 3 days ago. Domino is attempting to lick the area, but it is not accesive and I believe part of his normal cleaning process. He also has no stitches and I am assuming the incision was put back together with the glew they use now. As I look at the wound it seems to be healing. Any suggestions if I should continue to leave the e-collar on for the full 10 days?

Asked by Domino on Apr 10th 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

Hunter

With male casts the incision heals within 3-4 days. Most males don't even go home with collars unless they excessively lick...normal grooming is ok. Since you are past the 3 day mark it's probably ok for you to remove the collar.

Hunter answered on Apr 11th.

Answers

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

Yes. Definitely! This article gives better details than I could:
blogs.dogster.com

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 4/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Harvey

Tinkerbell's blog reference was good advice. However, 10 days seems rather excessive. When I got my operaton, the wound healed within a few days (certainly within a week). I did, however, lick the area, because it itched and felt funny (sorta like something was missing). I didn't wear an e-collar, but did get antibiotics, and my Human was told to watch out for redness and other signs of infection. I would advise you to follow your vet's advice and use the collar, but if the wound seems sufficiently healed before the 10 days are up, call the vet and ask if you can take it off. Better safe than sorry.

Harvey answered on 4/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I gree with Harvey. If the operation was successful and no other "work" was done back there, ten days does seem excessive. At the shelter, we used to put neutered male kittens back into the population after a day. However, if Domino has had surgery before and has a history of 'going at' his stitches/surgery site, then that may be why the doc is suggesting you err on the side of caution. I know that e-collars are a pain--literally. When my dog had one, my legs were always scratched and bruised from it and her affections. They DO make soft ones of plastic but I'm not sure how effective they would be for Domino. You can ask your vet if he wants him to wear it for that long if they have the soft ones.

They didn't give us a collar at all for Oscar J. They just told us to keep an eye on his stitches to make sure he was not pulling or biting them. He made a full recovery without complications.

You don't want the wound to get infected. I'd leave the collar on. You can always use a cat wipe to clean Domino if hygene is an issue.

Tuna

You should deffidently leave it on for ten days.

Tuna answered on 4/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer