Waffles

My kitten has really gross yellow poop with what looks like bloody discharge?

Walrus's one month old sister (Walrus died and had some weird poop thing like this going on, too), Isis, just pooped. But, the poop is like, yellow-ish and has what looks like blood in it. We took her to the vet the other day, but the primary focus of the visit was for Walrus. Isis has been taking L-Lycene (she has Feline Herpes) for two days now, and has been taking the amount directed by our vet.

Is this poop because of the L-Lycene suddenly in her system? My mom and I are also starting to introduce her to meat, and put some canned cat food juice in her KMR. Could it be because of this?

So, I ask this question because I want to know if any of you guys' cats have ever had this problem, and whether I should take her to the vet. I'm definitely going to take her to the vet if you guys confirm my suspicions. Thank you!

Asked by Waffles on Jul 10th 2009 Tagged poop, food, herpes, virus, vet, visit, isis, kitten, strange, coloration, llycene in Health & Safety

Answers

L-Lysine should not cause this. It's just an amino acid and it's even an ingredient in many premium cat foods. Bloody poop is always something to be concerned with. The yellowish diarrhea could be because of the food change and if she were not so young, I would say to just watch it for a day or two. My Maggie had runny yellow poop for a bit after I started her on my food after she left the breeder but she was 9 weeks old. But being as little as yours, they can dehydrate and go downhill fast. Give the vet a call and tell them what is going on. They may just tell you to pull back on adding the meat or they may want to see her.

Harvey

Go to the vet!!! Regarding blood in stoop, one of my three vets--the youngest and most educated--said that bloody stoop usually involves ingestion of some kind of fiber, usually human hair. Yellow poop doesn't sound good. Harvey has poop problems, and I have yet to take him to a specialist--although he does well on fiber-rich Hairball Control food. So I'm no saint, either. However, he has been to three vets, none of whom could figure out why a big Maine Coon has a body like a ferret. Meanwhile, he's totally functional and healthy appearing. I need to take him to a specialist hospital, which means getting a letter of introduction from my regular vet....sigh...my mental state is not good now, and I have myself to worry about, too. All I can say is that you should consult with your vet about the L-Lycine thing, or get a second opinion. The fact that Walrus died is not a good sign. Go to the vet.

Harvey answered on 7/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

Go to the vet with a fresh poop sample and get them to test it. Then you will find out what is wrong. The l-lysine will not do this it is only an amino acid. The food will not do this either. You probably have some sort of bacteria or parasite, maybe Coccidia, or Giardia. Get to the vet.

Shadow answered on 7/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer